Thursday, January 24, 2013

Working Through Winter

The last few weeks in the classroom, we have focused on all things WINTER. We learned about the signs of winter and the animals who hibernate in the winter. This week we learned about the states of matter and how they can change. We used snowmen and icicles as illustrations to show how and why matter changes. The students made some cute little melting snowmen and told why they had melted.















Last week they painted snowglobes.....



We are practicing addition a LOT these days without using any pictures to count. (If you missed the last post, I linked an online addition game that the kids LOVE to play) I teach the students the SMASH method. (I don't know if that's an actual trademarked method or not. I just call it that). The students say the larger number as they "smash" it, and then count up the smaller amount on their fingers.  IF I ever get the video demonstrating this to upload, I will link it here.  Apparently uploading videos from my phone isn't my area of expertise.  Here's my best shot at painting a picture with my words.
                      2+7     The student will say 7 out loud and then use their fingers to count on 2  more.


One of the fun ways we've been practicing our addition is in the math games center.  The students roll two dice and add them up.  The sum will buy them a piece to their snowman.  We play the same game on our SmartBoard each day during our calendar math time.
This week in the math games center, the students played "10 Snowballs Up on Top," a variation of Ten Apples Up on Top that we played in the fall.  The student pairs had to work together to fill all of the snowballs up by adding 1 or 2 more each time.  If the spinner landed on 'put back,' they got to see a little subtraction in action as they had to take one away.   

                   With all this cold weather, our friend River wants to remind you to BUNDLE UP!







 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment